Apply for a Studio
Download Application Forms & Other Information
Information for New Applicants – Criteria, Information and Process
Banks Mill is a creative industries incubator for artists, applied artist and designer makers.
The maximum incubation period is five years with an option of post-incubation for a further year.
This information is available in printable format at the bottom of this page. An application form is also available in the same format.
Each incubatee is expected to provide the following:
- To sign their lease, tenants charter and policy document
- To pay their rent (in advance by standing order)
- To use their studio for a minimum of 25 hours per week
- To attend and open their studio for Banks Mill Open Studios (held 2x annually) and to pay a contribution (currently £25) towards cost of same.
- To be an active participant at event
- To be willing to be incubated
- To provide peer support to other incubatees.
The rent and service charge increases annually to reflect tenants’ increased commercial success. Rents are 50% reduced in the first year of incubation and include the following:
- Security of building
- Maintenance & cleaning of communal areas
- Use of UOD facilities
- Full business support programme
- Website representation
- Use of resource room and facilities
Process for Entry
- Contact Banks Mill and, where possible, have an initial discussion with the Incubation Manager to assess the potential applicant’s entrance route, receive a guided tour of the building and shown any available studios.
- If the entrance criteria is met, the applicant will be sent an application form and business plan template for completion.
- On receipt of the application and business plan, an assessment will be conducted. If successful the applicant will be invited to an interview: The applicant will be expected to provide evidence of their work.
- If successful, the applicant will be informed of their acceptance.
- They will either at this point, move into a suitable studio, go on the waiting list, or be asked to improve their application and try again.
Criteria for Entry
- New or recent (less than three years) start-up business
- Quality of work
- Evidence of progression
- Willingness to receive business support
- Willingness to give and receive peer support
- Form part of the Banks Mill community
- Attend a minimum of two seminars/training sessions in business support per year
- Evidence of business plan*
- Evidence of market for product
- Minimum 25 hours per week use of studio*
- Open and attendance at Open Studios (2x yearly)*
- Intention to sustain a living through developing product/practice
*Direct entrance to Banks Mill incubation only, not applicable for associate members or short-term workspace users.
Where applicants do not fully fit the stated criteria, we reserve the right to decline the application or to offer a one year probationary lease where deemed appropriate. Subject to progress shown during the first year, the lease may or may not be extended.